Tuesday 30 April 2013

Z... is for Zoo!

I had an amazing experience at the Edinburgh zoo because

1. I love zoos
2. It was the first time I was visiting a zoo outside India
3. It has penguins and pandas!

I saw 12 animals that I'd never seen before, including pandas, penguins, koalas, wallaby, meerkats, and Sumatran tiger (that looks like a kitten). Anyway, the zoo is celebrating its 100th year, we got showed around the entire facility, including the Budongo Trail, the seat of leading research! The caretakers are a lovely bunch, everything seemed meticulous and the animals were vying for their attention. One of the researchers, who works with capuchin monkeys, was showing us around and we came to an enclosure with about 20 of the animals; he knew them all by name and face! He clearly cared :)

All their names!

A lot of research is ongoing, and the animals choose (or not) to participate in the research as subjects! How cool (and sensitive) is that!

'Lured' into a research pod for us, by nuts!

Tian Tian (the girl panda) has been artificially inseminated this past week from Yang Guan (the boy) and all well-wishers are keeping their fingers crossed for some pandalicious good news soon!

Here is the website www.edinburghzoo.org.uk
More importantly, here is their Youtube channel (you can spend hours watching the videos!!)  http://www.youtube.com/user/TheEdinburghZoo

Lastly, this is my favourite video



Some pictures from my visit, one that I highly recommend. Take your kids, ask questions, bond, donate... you won't be disappointed!





-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post is part of the ongoing A-to-Z Challenge. Previously, AyeBerwickCramondDisabilityEdinburghForth BridgeGlasgowHamishIsle of SkyeJohn o' GroatsKirkLoch Lomond and LussMogwaiNecropolisOld Man of StorrPortobelloQueen of ScotsRobert BurnsStirlingTantallon CastleUrquhart CastleVenisonWriters' MuseumSaltire, Young.

7 comments:

Grace Grits and Gardening said...

I love zoos too and I love to see the different animals in various parts of the country/world.

Unknown said...

I love visiting the zoo. Koalas and wallabies are pretty normal around here, but I saw penguins for the first time recently, so cute!

Rinelle Grey

Anne Mackle said...

I used to visit the zoo a lot when my children were young but I've not been for years,I glad you enjoyed your visit.

LA Nickers said...

Never been to the Edinburgh Zoo - or Edinburgh. But I loved the pictures.

I did ZOO for Practically at Home, one of my eight A-Z blogs. Fun topic.

Congratulations on finishing the A-Z!

Unknown said...

It must have been very exciting to see some animals for the first time.
Love the pictures, especially of the
monkeys.

Congratulations on finally making it to the end of the challenge. :)

Paula said...

Loved your pictures. I have been happy to get to know you through this challenge. You are now on my "Forever List" Congrats on making it to the end

J Lenni Dorner said...

Stopping by from your comment on the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge Z post on Facebook!
@JLenniDorner

Interesting post. I love the pictures!