Saturday 26 April 2014

W... is for Wilde's Wit

I believe sarcasm and wit make for excellent reading. I'm not much of a fan of humour, but I make up for that by reading wit. Oscar Wilde is my absolute favourite in this domain. I read The Picture of Dorian Gray first when I was fourteen and then again at twenty and it remains, to this day, one of my favourite books. With a very dark, Faust-esque theme, it is very hard to pick which side is correct and which wrong.
A cousin passed on The Complete Works of Wilde to me because it was an unwanted present and I have revisited many of his brilliant works over the years. Unfortunately, I'm not reading any of him for my course because he's from The Republic of Ireland and so, technically, not British. Here are 40 of his best quotes! 
*****************************************************
This is the twenty-third post for the April A-to-Z Blogging Challenge 2014.
Previously, Archaism, British literature, Critical Analysis, Drama, Edinburgh, Faust, Gothic Fiction, Humour, Interpretation, Journalling, Keats, Language, Metaphysical Poetry, Narration, Ode, Papillion(ed), Quatrain, Romanticism, Shakespeare, Tone, University, Victorian Literature

1 comment:

Tony Laplume said...

I've never read him (except maybe in school?), but I'll have to correct that.